Angry Birds Friends, formerly called Angry Birds Facebook, is a collaboration between Rovio and Facebook, announced on the official Facebook page on January 25, 2012. The game was to be released on February 14, 2012, but appeared as a playable version on February 13 as a beta release. The app received a level-update on February 29 and March 29. Powerups originated here.
A video trailer for the game was posted on the Rovio Mobile YouTube Channel prior to the game's release and can be seen here:
There is also a mobile version for Angry Birds Friends. It has 6 weekly levels and was released on May 2, 2013. Click here to learn more.
The game is similar in most ways to the classic Angry Birds game, but with some notable change allow players to target better, fly longer, and create more damage, but the game can be played without the use of power-ups.
- Social Media aspects allow players to invite friends to play, gift Power-ups to one another.
- Angry Birds Shop allows players to purchase Power-ups and usage of the Mighty Eagle for their own use or as gifts to other players.
- Avatars allow users to customize a bird icon for their profile.
- Bird Coins : These are coins that are given as rewards by winning stars on Weekly Tournament Levels and placing in the Top 3. These came in a update for Angry Birds Friends on February 4th, 2012. You can use these coins to purchase Power UPs, Mighty Eagles, Avatars and Costumes, and...
- WINGMAN! That's right! Wingman also came in the new update for Angry Birds Friends. You can use this character in weekly tournament levels, only. Terence, dressed up as this Superhero, will help you deal more damage in those Weekly Tournament Levels. Special Superhero Effects like "Bam!" or "Pow!" included when this hero deals damage! But just like any power up in the game, Wingman is limited, so use wisely, or buy more if you have enough Bird Coins.
This game consists of three playable levels, two of which already existed in the classic Angry Birds game. When the app was released, Surf and Turf included 15 exclusive levels. Surf and Turf eventually was released in an update for Angry Birds. The update on February 29 added an additional 15 and usage of the Boomerang Bird. On March 29, a new update gave Surf and Turf 15 stormy, rainy levels they appear to be the last levels. Also, Green Day was removed on December 20th, 2012.
- Red Bird (First level apperance: Poached Eggs 1)
- Blue Bird (First level apperance: Poached Eggs 10)
- Yellow Bird (First level apperance: Poached Eggs 16)
- Black Bird (First level apperance: Poached Eggs 26)
- White Bird (First level apperance: Poached Eggs 35)
- Boomerang Bird (First level apperance: Surf and Turf 18)
- Big Brother Bird (First level apperance: Surf and Turf 31)
- Orange Bird (First level apperance Halloween Tournament 1 / Pig Tales 5 ; 1st web game Appearance)
- Mighty Eagle (can be purchased)
Power Ups can be earned daily or by setting the date on your computer. Or, they can be purchased in the power-up shop.
Sling Scope! - Don't Shoot In the Dark!
Introducing Sling Scope power-up - Looking for the perfect shot? Use Sling Scope laser targeting for pinpoint precision!
Birdquake! - Rattle the Battle!
Introducing Birdquake power-up - Use the Birdquake to bring pigs' defenses crashing to the ground! Rattle the battle!
King Sling! - Get Maximum Velocity!
Introducing King Sling power-up - Fling your birds with style AND speed. Upgrade to the almighty King Sling for maximum power and velocity!
The Mighty Eagle is included in the game and functions the same as it does for the Classic game, Rio and Seasons. The one change is that, as with the Power-Ups, the Mighty Eagle has limited uses and additional usage must be earned or purchased through the store.
Angry Birds Friends utilizes the social media nature of Facebook in three key areas:
- What are those crowns in my level selection screen?
- A crown is a visual indicator of your rank among your friends. A gold crown means you have the highest score of all your friends who are playing Angry Birds on Facebook. Silver and bronze crowns are rewards for second and third place respectively. You can see which levels you hold a crown in, in the level selection screen.
On February 11, 2012, Rovio introduced a link via the Angry Birds Facebook page for users to create a customized Bird avatar. The customizations included a crown, cowboy hat, pirate hat and sombrero, a long with three types of sunglasses and an eye patch. Users can chose between Red Bird, Yellow Bird, Female Red Bird, Blue Bird, Boomerang Bird, Bad Piggy, Black Bird, Big Brother Bird, White Bird, Super Red Bird, Egg, Pink Bird & Orange Bird as their customized avatar (only the first three are available for free). A cryptic message about defending the egg with a large flock around a golden egg with a crown can be seen on the site, implying this may have something to do with the storyline of the game.
All the birds
Avatars were officially released on the site on March 14, 2012 with the launch of the "Bird-O-Matic" tool with several additional items to add to your bird, however most items have a cost associated with them. Additionally, Bronze, Silver, Gold and Diamond backgrounds are offered in the Avatar section after completing a specific threshold of stars. 100 Stars will unlock bronze, 200 Stars will unlock silver, 400 stars will unlock gold, while 600 are needed for diamond.
The original logo for Angry Birds Facebook included the King Pig's three-pointed crown. However, on March 14, 2012, the logo was changed to include a less-specific crown.
Facebook Golden/Easter Egg Locations
On April 3, 2012, AB Facebook introduced Golden/Easter Eggs. There were 10 eggs. Here are the locations .
- Before the new update on February 4th, 2013, Weekly Tournaments are played at nighttime, but in the update, the background are played during the daytime.
- Just two weeks after the new tournament update with Wingman, February 18th, 2013, another update to Angry Birds Friends updates rivals to the Tournaments, for those who don't have rivals to play against yet. Photos of Chuck the Yellow Bird and Red the Red Bird appear competing in the tournament as CPU rivals. Beat their high score and you're a couple steps closer to winning, unless there are Facebook User opponents.
- Angry Birds Friends logo got been changed some days after the mobile version got been released.
- Rovio announced on April 3rd, 2013, that Angry Birds Friends will be coming soon to mobile on iOS and Android device, making this the 6th Angry Birds game in the Angry Birds App/Game series, including its spin-off, Bad Piggies.
|Paid Versions||Angry Birds • Angry Birds Seasons • Angry Birds Rio • Angry Birds Space • Angry Birds Star Wars • Angry Birds Star Wars II • Angry Birds Go! • Bad Piggies|
|Free Versions||Angry Birds Free • Angry Birds Lite • Angry Birds Seasons Free • Angry Birds Rio Free • Angry Birds Magic • Angry Birds Space Free|
|Web Apps||Chrome • Google+ • Volcano • Facebook • Fuji TV • Telepizza • Coca-Cola • Heikki • Ultrabook™ Adventure • McDonald's|
|Closed Versions||Wonderful Pistachios • Vuela Tazos • Cheetos • Lotus F1 Team|
|Board Games||Angry Birds: Knock on Wood • Angry Birds: On Thin Ice • Angry Birds: Spring Is In The Air • Angry Birds: Mega Smash • Angry Birds: Western Round-Up • Angry Birds: Birds in Space • Angry Birds: Planet Block •Spring Has Sprung (Board Game)|