Angry Birds Space is the fourth installment to the Angry Birds series. The release date was on March 22, 2012. It was first announced on the Angry Birds Space page.
The first posters before the Press Release first appeared in February 17, 2012. The very first poster featured a full sized page of the Super Red Bird along with the first video in the 16th. After the trailer, they released the second trailer on the 23rd showing two astronauts on a slingshot. Then in the 24th with the third trailer appeared showing the Lazer Bird. Then on March 3rd, it shows a spaced out pig for the first time.
On March 8, 2012, Rovio posted a press release about the game with further information:
After a giant claw kidnaps their eggs, the Angry Birds chase it into a wormhole and find themselves floating in a strange galaxy surrounded by space pigs! Luckily, the Angry Birds have super powers of their own...
Angry Birds Space features 160 interstellar levels' (or 225 levels, if you count the Danger Zone, Eggsteroids, the Space Egg bonus levels and the new Space Eagle bonus levels) on planets and in zero gravity, resulting in spectacular gameplay ranging from slow-motion puzzles to lightspeed destruction. With regular free updates, new in-app purchases, brand new birds, brand new superpowers, and a whole galaxy to explore, the sky is no longer the limit!
- 160 interstellar levels and counting!
- Regular free updates!
- Brand new birds! (Ice Bird and Space Egg)
- Brand new pigs! (Fat Pig and Astronaut Pig)
- Brand new superpowers!
- Zero-gravity space adventures!
- Trick shots using planets’ gravity
- New in-app purchases for iOS!
- Hidden bonus levels!
- Beautifully detailed backgrounds!
- Boss Battles! (1-30, 2-30, 4-30, 5-30, 6-30)
- Power Ups and Free Daily Rewards.
Q: What is Angry Birds Space?
A: Angry Birds Space is a brand new game by Rovio, creator of the global phenomenon Angry Birds.
Q: Is this an update, or a new game?
A: Angry Birds Space is a completely new game with innovative new gameplay. From floating through space to using the gravity of nearby planets to set up spectacular trick shots, the unique background takes traditional gameplay to a totally new level. In addition, the Angry Birds have new superpowers and eight new characters.
Q: When is it coming out?
A: On March 22nd we’ll launch simultaneously in mobile gaming, animation, retail, and publishing. Not only is this the first big launch for us as an integrated entertainment company, but the first time this has ever been done for a mobile game!
Mark your calendar and stay tuned for the biggest game launch since the original Angry Birds!
Q: When is the official announcement?
A: The official announcement was online on March 8th at 10am EST/3pm GMT at . The announcement was literally out of this world, with Flight Engineer Don Pettit introducing the game from the International Space Station.
Q: Where can I play the Angry Birds Space game?
A: Angry Birds Space is available on iOS, Android, Mac, and PC on March 22nd. Information on other platforms will be available later.
A: Matilda, Stella, and Al are not in the game so far, but may come to the game later, but this is not confirmed.
Q: I’m intrigued! How do I get more information?
A: We’ll be releasing more information through space.angrybirds.com, so make sure to check back regularly. You can also check Facebook, Twitter or the Rovio Blog for updates.
The Daily - Birds in Space Edit
On March 14, 2012, The Daily uploaded a free app that acts as an official companion to the game. The guide contains detailed information on the creation of the game, new characters and other information.
A THIN LINEEdit
March 14, 2012 also saw the press release of a new collaboration between MTV's A THIN LINE anti-cyber-bullying campaign and Angry Birds Space. Once the game is launched on March 22, 2012, players who post a positive message to the Draw Your Line app will receive a hint as to where to get a code that opens a secret golden egg level. Additionally, an anti-cyber-bullying PSA featuring the Birds will be released that day. 
From The Daily - Birds in Space guide, a rough overview of the story was revealed:
One day, the birds were taking care of the eggs and a mechanical claw grabs the Birds' eggs and they follow it through a wormhole to arrive in the world of Space. There, some gain new powers or equipment. They meet Ice Bird, convinced he can help them get home, but Ice Bird is only concerned about saving his world from the Space Pigs and retrieving the Eggsteroid.
Space Pigs are the Bad Piggies, outfitted with new equipment allowing them to survive in Space and brandishing new challenges to the Flock, including the Space King's UFO (which houses the aforementioned claw) and the enormous Fat Pig.
The game features a new Gravitational Field that alters the Bird's direction when shot, making the game more difficult. However, there are small "dots" protruding from the Bird on the slingshot showing which direction the Bird will go depending on the altitude and power of the shot.
For more information on the characters from Angry Birds Space, see: Space Characters
- Super Red Bird (Red): Same ability as the Classic version of Red the Red Bird
- Lightning Blue Birds (The Blues: Blue Jay, Blue Jake, & Blue Jim): Same ability as the Classic version of the Blue Bird Trio.
- Lazer Bird (Chuck): Ability similar to the Classic version of Chuck the Yellow Bird, except goes to where you target.
- Bomb Bird (Bomb): Same ability as the Classic version of Bomb the Black Bird.
- The Incredible Terence (Terence): Same ability as the Classic version of Terence the Big Brother Bird.
- Ice Bird: Has the ability to freeze pigs and obstacles, but can also produce a huge ice ball when you launch the Ice Bird in the Pig Dipper's water surfaces. Freeze explosion could also trigger explosive items (Example: TNT Crates).
- Atomic Bird (Bubbles): Same ability as the Classic version of Bubbles the Orange Bird.
- Space Egg: Has the ability to produce a vortex that drags obstacles in different directions. (Unlimited use on Space Egg Bonus levels, but limited use as a power up)
- Space Eagle (Mighty Eagle): Similar to Mighty Eagle, the Space Eagles can come from a wormhole from behind the fortess to cause massive destruction. (Limited use as a power up, but unlimited use on Space Eagle Bonus Levels)
- Note: Each episode (including Danger Zone and excluding Eggsteroids) has a set of Special Item Bubbles, one for getting 3 stars on all the levels of an episode (including the Space Egg Bonus Levels) and the other for getting all the Feathers in all the levels in an episode (including the new Sardine Can "Space Eagle Bonus Levels (see new info below)). These Special Item Bubbles kind of resemble the Special Flying Items you earn in Angry Birds Classic and in Angry Birds Seasons.
- Pig Bang - 34 Levels (Special Item Bubbles: All 99 Stars=White Vegetable with 3 Stars; All 31 Feathers= OLD Item: 3 Feathers with a Green-Colored Glowing Background; NEW Item: White Vegetable with a Feather)
- Cold Cuts - 34 Levels (Special Item Bubbles: All 99 Stars= Crystal Mushroom With 3 Stars; OLD: All 31 Feathers= 3 Feathers with a Turquoise-Colored Glowing Background; NEW: Crystal Mushroom with a Feather)
- Fry Me to the Moon - 12 Levels (All 33 Stars= The Space Egg with 3 Stars; All 11 Feathers= OLD Item:3 Feathers with a Blue-Colored Glowing Background; NEW Item: The Space Egg with a Feather)
- Utopia - 34 Levels (All 99 Stars= Lollipop with 3 Stars; All 31 feathers= OLD Item: 3 Feathers with a Pink-Colored Glowing Background; NEW Item: Lollipop with a Feather)
- Red Planet - 34 Levels (Special Item Bubbles: All 99 Stars= Blue Crystals with 3 Stars; All 31 Feathers= Blue Crystals with a Feather)
- Pig Dipper (Originally called Water Galaxy) - 34 Levels (Special Item Bubbles: All 99 Stars= Red Oyster with 3 Stars; All 31 Feathers= Red Oyster with a Feather.)
- Danger Zone - 30 Levels (Special Item Bubbles: All 90 Stars= One of the Small Space Mines from the Menu Screens with 3 Stars; All 30 Feathers= OLD Item: 3 Feathers with a Red-Colored Glowing Background; NEW Item: One of the Small Space Mines from the Menus Screens with a Feather)
- Eggsteroids - Currently 13 Levels (Special Item Bubbles: None)
There are winnable objects in every episode in Angry Birds Space except for Eggsteroids. These are earned by getting 3 stars on all the levels, including the Space Egg bonus levels (Note that the Danger Zone has no Space Egg bonus level), and by getting feathers on all the levels using the Space Eagle, including the Space Eagle bonus levels.
- Pig Bang: White Vegetable
- Cold Cuts: Crystal Mushroom
- Fry Me to the Moon: Space Egg
- Utopia: Lollipop
- Red Planet: Blue Crystal
- Pig Dipper: Red Oyster
- Danger Zone: Space Mine
Yes, sir! Power Ups have arrived in Angry Birds Space in the Pig Dipper Update on January 10th, 2013. Here's what we have in our disposal now, besides Space Eagles, of course.
Flock of Birds!: Enables the bird on the slingshot to split into a flock of 5 birds for a "Flock of Destruction"!. The original bird will be normal size while the other 4 copies will be smaller in size. This resembles The Blues' ability but the current bird splits into 5 birds when launched.
Space Egg!: Remember the Space Egg making his debut as a playable character in Space Egg Bonus levels? Well, with the Space Egg Power Up, you can now use the Space Egg in the original levels, possibly even the Danger Zone. Use the Space Egg's Black Hole from the Space Egg Bonus Levels to help you out with those tough levels. All fear the "Space Egg Black Hole"!
Pig Puffer!: "Inflate Pigs with the Pig Puffer"! This causes parts of the structure of the fortresses to break or move if the Inflated Pigs is too big to fit. In water levels like Pig Dipper, the inflated pigs will rise to the surface.
Note!: Just like the Power Ups in Angry Birds Classic, Angry Birds Rio, and the Facebook version of Angry Birds Star Wars, the Power Ups in Space are limited use, so use very wisely, unless you want to boost your Power Up score (Power Up scores are counted in Space). To get more power ups, go to the new shop icon in the Pause menu or Title Menu and it'll tell how much each pack of power ups cost. With the power ups arriving in Space, you can never receive only Space Eagles daily, anymore. Instead, whenever you go to Angry Birds Space each day and press the play button or removing an advertisement, you'll receive a random daily reward in a chance game that can be described as, "The Wheel of Space Power Ups". You can earn, 1 Flock of Birds, 1 Space Egg, 1 Pig Puffer, 1 Space Eagle, or if you're really lucky, 5 Space Eagles! But be careful of when you use your power ups and save them wisely, especially the Space Eagles because you'll need them to get 100% total destruction on all the levels to unlock the Space Eagle Bonus Level and Special Item Bubble with the Feather.
Tip!: To make "The "Wheel of Space Power Ups" stop quickly, press the button with the fast foward (double right pointing triangles) icon.
National Geographic BooksEdit
On March 8, 2012, National Geographic updated their Web site to offer the official companion book to the game in their e-store.
See main article: Angry Birds Space: A Furious Flight into the Final Frontier
Later, they updated their site with an Angry Birds Space Q&A.
Additionally, a second upcoming book was posted to Amazon.com to be offered on September 25, 2012
See main article: Angry Birds: Fed up, Feathered, and Furious
- The pigs have their Google Chrome sprites, with a few added frames.
- In Angry Birds Facebook, one golden egg is based on Angry Birds Space.
- Angry Birds Space and Angry Birds Star Wars are the only Angry Birds games to have more than one interactive screen. In both the menu and the title screen, you have the option to pop pigs, and other objects such as ice balls.
- The Birds are based on DC and Marvel superheroes. The Super Red Bird's mask resembles those of Wolverine and Batman. The Lightning Birds' helmets resemble that of The Flash. Bomb's coat, skin colors and powers resemble Firestorm. Terence's new skin color and large size resembles the Hulk, along with that his noise ability has a roaring noise like Hulk. The Lazer Bird's goggles resemble those of Cyclops. The Atomic Bird's costume resembles that of Firestorm Bird, similar to Fire Bomb Bird, but his ability resembles Lagoon Boy. And the Ice Bird's powers resemble those of Iceman.
- In Angry Birds Space, the game developers created the Pigs to become more responsive to certain reactions and death and near experiences such as: acting frightened when falling blocks or a bird comes near, an eating animation (added in Utopia update), and sleeping along with, yawning when the birds don't approach the Bad Piggies. This even happens when you first start a level (and occasional giggling).
- In Angry Birds Space v1.2.2, the backgrounds of the levels have been changed a bit. It happened again in v1.3.2.
- When the Orange Bird made his way to Angry Birds Space, he has new sprites when he inflates and during time inflated, refer to the sprites in Space Characters and the Classic Orange Bird's wiki page.
- If you pause the game at just the time when the Orange Bird inflates, you'll see he has an extra sprite before his coat is stretched and his mouth is open. Refer to the sprite in Space Characters.
- Lazer Bird used to have a cape during cutscenes, animations and trailers, and the loading screen, but doesn't have it and has a lightning bolt-shaped tail during gameplay and on the title screen. That was changed in v1.3.2, because in that version, the Lazer Bird finally receives his cape and loses his lightning bolt-shaped tail during gameplay. Now people can use the Lazer Bird's real sprite, the one with his cape.
- With Angry Birds Star Wars released, Angry Birds Space becomes the first game to have some levels take place in space, with the second being Angry Birds Star Wars.
- With the Power Ups in Space in the Pig Dipper Update, the Space Eagle Button received a change in the button color, from green to purple. The eye symbol stays the same, except it reflects light. Also, the Space Eagles are no longer just one purchase, they will be available at the shop. Also, notably, the number of Space Eagles to buy and prices has change: 80 Eagles has been decreased to 50 ($2.99 changed to $4.99). 280 Eagles has been decreased to 110 ($7.99 changed to $9.99), and 980 Eagles has been drastically decreased to 225 ($19.99 stays the same).
- On March 7th, 2013, Angry Birds Space was updated with an exclusive new theme song made by the Rock God Slash.
Samsung Galaxy NoteEdit
A video was released on 2/27/12 on the Samsung Mobile YouTube channel stating that Angry Birds Space will be "launching with Samsung GALAXY Note."
On March 9, 2012, phandroid.com reported further information regarding Samsung Galaxy and Angry Birds Space:
"Aside from users getting to play a bit of the game ahead of its March 22nd launch, Samsung has detailed the exclusive content that their Galaxy users will be able to enjoy.
You’ll be getting an exclusive Samsung Galaxy Note level, free access to the Danger Zone update which provides 30 maps (would usually be an in-app purchase for non-Galaxy ownes) and a new Lazer Bird which has unique powers to not only help you in the game, but to show off the beautiful display on devices such as the Galaxy Note."
Additionally, on March 9, 2012, the Angry Birds Facebook page updated with a video of the Lazer Bird in action, presented by the Samsung Galaxy Note. The description on the Samsung Mobile YouTube channel reads:
"The Lazer Bird, introduced by Samsung, perfectly reflects the personality of Samsung's GALAXY Note. The bird's lazer vision resembles the best viewing experience on the crisp and expansive screen and its lazer strike super power the high performance.
New characters, including the Lazer Bird in Angry Birds Space have unique superhero powers to help in their fight against the space pigs and bring their eggs safely back home."GALAXY Note Introducing Lazer Bird - Angry Birds Space(00:30)
- ↑ http://www.rovio.com/en/news/press-kits
- ↑ http://www.rovio.com/en/news/press-releases/141/rovio-and-mtv-partner-to-help-stop-digital-abuse
- ↑ http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=6200992&code=NG90430
- ↑ http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Angry-Birds-Feathered/dp/1426209967/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I986KTGZRD7V1&colid=ZQMAWB9NPHBD
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz5u_2dQzkA
- ↑ http://phandroid.com/2012/03/09/samsung-details-exclusive-angry-birds-space-content/
|Paid Versions||Angry Birds • Angry Birds Seasons • Angry Birds Rio • Angry Birds Space • Angry Birds Star Wars • Bad Piggies|
|Free Versions||Angry Birds Free • Angry Birds Lite • Angry Birds Seasons Free • Angry Birds Rio Free • Angry Birds Magic • Angry Birds Space Free|
|Web Apps||Chrome • Google+ • Volcano • Facebook • Fuji TV • Telepizza • Coca-Cola • Heikki • Ultrabook™ Adventure • McDonald's|
|Closed Versions||Wonderful Pistachios • Vuela Tazos • Cheetos • Lotus F1 Team|
|Board Games||Angry Birds: Knock on Wood • Angry Birds: On Thin Ice • Angry Birds: Spring Is In The Air • Angry Birds: Mega Smash • Angry Birds: Western Round-Up • Angry Birds: Birds in Space • Angry Birds: Planet Block •Spring Has Sprung (Board Game)|