Angry Birds Transformers is a side-scrolling shoot em' up video game released for iOS (Oct. 15, 2014) and Android (Oct. 30, 2014). In this game, the Angry Birds (as the protagonist "Autobirds") and the Bad Piggies (as the antagonist "Deceptihogs") join forces to battle against the "Eggbots".
A cinematic trailer was released on August 29, 2014, made to appear as if it was "ripped" off a mid-1980s VHS tape, which the original Transformers cartoon series was distributed on for home viewing.
The storyline begins with the AllSpark hurtling towards Earth. Upon entering the atmosphere, the AllSpark turns into an egg-like shape. As the Allspark is heading towards Piggy Island, the age-old battle between the Angry Birds and the Bad Piggies unfolds, ready to clash over a clutch of Eggs. Shortly thereafter, the Allspark crashes to Earth, with the fallout turning the Birds, the Pigs and even the Eggs into robots. After marvelling at their new robotic bodies, the Birds (as the Autobirds) and the Pigs (as the Deceptihogs) were about to resume their battle when the roboticized Eggs (dubbed the "Eggbots") began shooting at random environmental objects, roboticizing them and attacking both Autobird and Deceptihog alike. With a new threat surfacing, the mutual enemies are forced to enter an uneasy alliance in order to battle the Eggbots and save Piggy Island together.
The game begins with all of the Deceptihogs and most of the Autobirds captured by roboticized Bad Piggies (dubbed the "Pigbots"). Red (as Optimus Prime) and Chuck (as Bumblebee) must free their allies from captivity and save Piggy Island.
The objective in the game is to complete a run from start to finish in each stage, dealing with Pigbots attacking both Autobirds and Deceptihogs alike. Popping pigs is not needed to finish any stage; popped pigs are used to unlock new characters who are encased in ice. To pop the pigs, players must either directly shoot at them, or destroy their fortresses to crush them or make them fall from great heights.
Players can also transform to speed through a level faster and avoid highly damaging falling monoliths. As players upgrade their Transformers, they get special Energon abilities that can be recharged by shooting roboticized environmental objects to release Energon cubes.
Players can also bring an ally (even from a different faction) into a stage, where they can be summoned to assist the player for a set amount of time.
Energon power-ups are power-ups that Transformers are able to get by shooting roboticized environmental objects. When the objects have taken enough damage, they will release an Energon cube that is immediately added to the Energon power-up button. These power-ups can be upgraded by upgrading the Transformer itself. The upgrades give the power-ups stronger or longer-lasting effects, but they will require more Energon cubes to activate the stronger effects. The power-ups can be upgraded twice.
There is a total of 3 different Energon power-ups:
- Energon Shield - it cloaks the Transformer with a force shield that offers ultimate protection, even from falling monoliths. If you have one Energon cube at your disposal, the shield will last for about 5 seconds, if two cubes - 10 seconds, and if 3 cubes - 15 seconds.
- Energon Airstrike - Skywarp is called to airstrike an area. The airstrike helps in destroying structures, scrambling rockets and fireballs. It is uncertain what benefit the power-up gains from extra Energon cubes, but it's likely that it causes more damage. However, it is advised not to charge this power-up, as in, use it when you have only one Energon cube as the extra cubes don't really make a difference in effectiveness. This will result in more airstrikes.
- Energon EMP Stunner - an EMP is activated by the Transformer. If one Energon cube is collected, the EMP will disable the scrambling rockets & air Pigbots (except for the balloon Pigbots) and stun the mortar towers for a few seconds, if two cubes - the EMP will not only do the previously mentioned effects, it will also stun Pigbots that are sitting on structures for several seconds and the stun for mortar towers will last longer, and if three cubes - all the same effects as before with additions of balloon Pigbots being disabled and stuns lasting even longer.
- This is the second 3D Angry Birds game.The first one is Angry Birds Go!, which like Angry Birds Transformers, has a Jenga Mode.
- This is the second game in which Matilda did not appear. Angry Birds Space is the first game that excluded Matilda.
- This is the first game in which:
- Hal, Bubbles, and Terence are main characters.
- Bomb, Matilda and the Blues don't appear, not counting Angry Birds Stella.
- They Appear in the comic series.
- The Birds and the Pigs are on the same side
- Although this was sometimes the case for the Pork Side mode in Angry Birds Star Wars 2, not counting the upgrade to use pigs in bird levels and use birds in pig levels.
- There are visible arms and legs for the characters
- The Eggs are the antagonists.
- This is the fourth game to use vehicles. The first one is Bad Piggies, the second one is Angry Birds GO!, the third one is Angry Birds Epic (Bomb's pirate ship, the airship and submarine).
- This is the third Angry Birds game that wasn't released on a Thursday. The first game was Angry Birds and the second was Angry Birds Rio. However, it was released on Thursday for Android in Google Play.
- Despite the fact the Bad Piggies are teaming up with the Angry Birds, and are indeed playable, the primary basic enemies are pigs (turned into Pigbots).
- Players can give thanks to characters who are summoned as partners during a stage run, even if a partner is of a different faction. When a player's character gives thanks to a partner of a different faction (for example An Autobird teaming up with a Deceptihog), the partner fakes out the thanks and mocks the player character, with the player character pushing away the different faction partner away to mug the camera at the last minute.This reflects that they are still enemies, but are working together against a common threat.
- The Mighty Eagle does not appear, yet.
- Energon Starscream and Thundercracker have the same voice of the Freckled Pig.
- Red as Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Energon Optimus Prime and Ultimate Optimus Prime
- Chuck as Bumblebee and High Octane Bumblebee
- Terence as Heatwave and Sentinel Prime
- Hal as Energon Grimlock, Goldbite Grimlock, and Grey Slam Grimlock
- Stella as Arcee
- Bubbles as Jazz
- Bomb as Drift (appears in comic series)
- The Blues as Bluestreak (appears in comic series)
- Eggs as Allspark and EggBots
- King Pig as Bludgeon, Ultimate Megatron, Brawl, and Dark Megatron
- Minion Pig as Energon Starscream, Thundercracker and Skywarp (he deals Energon Airstrikes)
- Foreman Pig as Lockdown and Energon Lockdown
- Corporal Pig as Galvatron and Energon Galvatron
- Chef Pig as Soundwave, Soundblaster and Energon Soundwave
- Professor Pig as himself, only in one cutscene)