Angry Birds Transformers is a side-scrolling shoot em' up video game released for iOS (Oct. 15, 2014) and Android (Oct. 30, 2014). In this game, the Angry Birds (as the protagonist "Autobirds") and the Bad Piggies (as the antagonist "Deceptihogs") join forces to battle against the "Eggbots".
A cinematic trailer was released on August 29, 2014, animated like a mid-1980s VHS tape, which the original Transformers cartoon series was distributed on for home viewing.
The storyline begins with the AllSpark hurtling towards Earth. Upon entering the atmosphere, the AllSpark turns into an egg-like shape. As the Allspark is heading towards Piggy Island, the age-old battle between the Angry Birds and the Bad Piggies unfolds, ready to clash over a clutch of Eggs. Shortly thereafter, the Allspark crashes to Earth, with the fallout turning the Birds, the Pigs and even the Eggs into robots. After marvelling at their new robotic bodies, the Birds (as the Autobirds) and the Pigs (as the Deceptihogs) were about to resume their battle when the roboticized Eggs (dubbed the "Eggbots") began shooting at random environmental objects, roboticizing them and attacking both Autobird and Deceptihog alike. With a new threat surfacing, the mutual enemies are forced to enter an uneasy alliance in order to battle the Eggbots and save Piggy Island together.
The game begins with all of the Deceptihogs and most of the Autobirds captured by roboticized Bad Piggies (dubbed the "Pigbots"). Red (as Optimus Prime) and Chuck (as Bumblebee) must free their allies from captivity and save Piggy Island.
The objective in the game is to complete a run from start to finish in each stage, dealing with Pigbots attacking both Autobirds and Deceptihogs alike. Popping pigs is not needed to finish any stage; popped pigs are used to unlock new characters who are encased in ice. To pop the pigs, players must either directly shoot at them, or destroy their fortresses to crush them or make them fall from great heights.
Players can also transform to speed through a level faster and avoid highly damaging falling monoliths. As players upgrade their Transformers, they get special Energon abilities that can be recharged by shooting roboticized environmental objects to release Energon cubes.
Players can also bring an ally (even from a different faction) into a stage, where they can be summoned to assist the player for a set amount of time. If Astrotrain flies over you after your partner has disappeared, then he can no longer help you complete the level before returning to Astrotrain. However, if your partner is still present when Astrotrain flies over you, then he will remain with you until you and him both return to Astrotrain.
Occasionally, homing missiles will chase down your Transformer and hit you, scrambling him and turning him into a washing machine for five seconds, therefore making your Transformer vulnerable to attacks. There's even an achievement where you get turned into a washing machine at the very last minute as a Deceptihog upon returning to Astrotrain!
Energon power-ups are power-ups that Transformers are able to get by shooting roboticized environmental objects. When the objects have taken enough damage, they will release an Energon cube that is immediately added to the Energon power-up button. These power-ups can be upgraded by upgrading the Transformer itself. The upgrades give the power-ups stronger or longer-lasting effects, but they will require more Energon cubes to activate the stronger effects. The power-ups can be upgraded twice.
There is a total of 3 different Energon power-ups:
- Energon Shield - it cloaks the Transformer with a force shield that offers ultimate protection, even from falling monoliths. If you have one Energon cube at your disposal, the shield will last for about 5 seconds, if two cubes - 10 seconds, and if 3 cubes - 15 seconds.
- Energon Airstrike - Skywarp is called to airstrike an area. The airstrike helps in destroying structures, scrambling rockets and fireballs. It is uncertain what benefit the power-up gains from extra Energon cubes, but it's likely that it causes more damage. However, it is advised not to charge this power-up, as in, use it when you have only one Energon cube as the extra cubes don't really make a difference in effectiveness. This will result in more airstrikes.
- Energon EMP Stunner - an EMP is activated by the Transformer. If one Energon cube is collected, the EMP will disable the scrambling rockets & air Pigbots (except for the balloon Pigbots) and stun the mortar towers for a few seconds, if two cubes - the EMP will not only do the previously mentioned effects, it will also stun Pigbots that are sitting on structures for several seconds and the stun for mortar towers will last longer, and if three cubes - all the same effects as before with additions of balloon Pigbots being disabled and stuns lasting even longer.
- This is the second 3D Angry Birds game.The first one is Angry Birds Go!, which like Angry Birds Transformers, has a Jenga Mode.
- This is the second game in which Matilda did not appear. Angry Birds Space is the first game that excluded Matilda.
- This is the first game in which:
- Hal, Bubbles, and Terence are main characters.
- Bomb, Matilda and the Blues don't appear, not counting Angry Birds Stella.
- Bomb and the Blues appear in the comic series.
- The Birds and the Pigs are on the same side
- Although this was sometimes the case for the Pork Side mode in Angry Birds Star Wars 2, not counting the upgrade to use pigs in bird levels and use birds in pig levels.
- There are visible arms and legs for the characters
- The Eggs are the antagonists.
- This is the sixth game to use vehicles. The first one is Bad Piggies, the second and third are the Angry Birds Star Wars games, the fourth one is Angry Birds GO!, and the fifth one is Angry Birds Epic (Bomb's pirate ship, the airship and submarine).
- This is the third Angry Birds game that wasn't released on a Thursday. The first game was Angry Birds and the second was Angry Birds Rio. However, it was released on Thursday for Android in Google Play.
- Despite the fact the Bad Piggies are teaming up with the Angry Birds, and are indeed playable, the primary basic enemies are pigs (turned into Pigbots).
- Players can thank characters who are summoned as partners during a stage run, even if a partner is of a different faction. Thanking a character will give the other player 25 coins or gems. There are various humorous animations after thanking. For example, When a player's character gives thanks to a partner of a different faction, your character will push the other character off the screen.
- Energon Starscream, Skywarp, and Thundercracker use the same sounds as Freckled Pig.
- Foreman Pig is called Mustache Pig in-game.
- If your at a high enough rank, you don't need any buddies.
- The Autobirds and Deceptihogs are based on various incarnations of several Transformers characters:
- Red as Optimus Prime's robot mode resembles G1 Optimus Prime's robot mode, but has Movie Optimus Prime's longnose truck alt-mode and flame decals.
- Chuck as Bumblebee's design and alt-mode resembles Movie Bumblebee's.
- Hal as Grimlock's alt-mode is a tricycle since his robot and T. rex modes are treated here as being the same.
- Terence as Heatwave is based on the Rescue Bots character of the same name. His alternate form, Sentinel Prime, is based on the Dark of the Moon character of the same name (he becomes a red-and-black fire truck).
- Bubbles as Jazz's design is based on G1 Jazz's.
- Stella as Arcee's robot mode resembles G1 Arcee's, but has Revenge of the Fallen Arcee's motorcycle alt-mode.
- King Pig as Megatron is based on Movie Megatron's design in Revenge of the Fallen, even sporting a similar-looking tank alt-mode and a claw-shaped "fusion cannon".
- Minion Pig as Starscream has G1 Starscream's colors, but Prime Starscream's alt-mode.
- Foreman Pig as Lockdown is based on the Age of Extinction character of the same name.
- Chef Pig as Soundwave has G1 Soundwave's robot mode, but War for Cybertron Soundwave's military truck alt-mode.
- Corporal Pig as Galvatron has G1 Galvatron's robot mode, but Age of Extinction Galvatron's cab-over truck alt-mode.
- Red as Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Energon Optimus Prime and Ultimate Optimus Prime
- Chuck as Bumblebee and High Octane Bumblebee
- Terence as Heatwave and Sentinel Prime
- Hal as Energon Grimlock, Goldbite Grimlock, and Grey Slam Grimlock
- Stella as Arcee and Airachnid
- Bubbles as Jazz
- Bomb as Drift (Comic only)
- The Blues as Bluestreak (Comic only)
- Eggs as Allspark and EggBots
- King Pig as Bludgeon, Ultimate Megatron, Brawl, and Dark Megatron
- Minion Pig as Energon Starscream, Thundercracker and Skywarp (he deals Energon Airstrikes)
- Foreman Pig as Lockdown and Energon Lockdown
- Corporal Pig as Galvatron and Energon Galvatron
- Chef Pig as Soundwave, Soundblaster and Energon Soundwave
- Professor Pig as himself (only in one cutscene)
- Bad Piggies as Pigbots
- ??? as Astrotrain