Angry Birds Transformers is a side-scrolling shoot em' up video game released for iOS (Oct. 15, 2014) and Android (Oct. 30, 2014). In this game, the Angry Birds (as the protagonist "Autobirds") and the Bad Piggies (as the antagonist "Deceptihogs") join forces to battle against the "Eggbots".
A cinematic trailer was released on August 29, 2014, made to appear as if it was "ripped" off a mid-1980s VHS tape, which the original Transformers cartoon series was distributed on for home viewing.
The storyline begins with the AllSpark hurtling towards Earth. Upon entering the atmosphere, the AllSpark turns into an egg-like shape. As the Allspark is heading towards Piggy Island, the age-old battle between the Angry Birds and the Bad Piggies unfolds, ready to clash over a clutch of Eggs. Shortly thereafter, the Allspark crashes to Earth, with the fallout turning the Birds, the Pigs and even the Eggs into robots. After marvelling at their new robotic bodies, the Birds (as the Autobirds) and the Pigs (as the Deceptihogs) were about to resume their battle when the roboticized Eggs (dubbed the "Eggbots") began shooting at random environmental objects, roboticizing them and attacking both Autobird and Deceptihog alike. With a new threat surfacing, the mutual enemies are forced to enter an uneasy alliance in order to battle the Eggbots and save Piggy Island together.
The game begins with all of the Deceptihogs and most of the Autobirds captured by roboticized Bad Piggies (dubbed the "Pigbots"). Red (as Optimus Prime) and Chuck (as Bumblebee) must free their allies from captivity and save Piggy Island.
The objective in the game is to complete a run from start to finish in each stage, dealing with Pigbots attacking both Autobirds and Deceptihogs alike. Popping pigs is not needed to finish any stage; popped pigs are used to unlock new characters who are encased in ice. To pop the pigs, players must either directly shoot at them, or destroy their fortresses to crush them or make them fall from great heights.
Players can also transform to speed through a level faster and avoid highly damaging falling monoliths. As players upgrade their Transformers, they get special Energon abilities that can be recharged by shooting roboticized environmental objects to release Energon cubes.
Players can also bring an ally (even from a different faction) into a stage, where they can be summoned to assist the player for a set amount of time.
- This is the second 3D Angry Birds game.The first one is Angry Birds Go!, which, like Angry Birds Transformers, has a Jenga Mode.
- This is the second game in which Matilda did not appear. Angry Birds Space is the first game that excluded Matilda.
- The reason is that no suitable Transformers character can be found for Matilda and Mighty Eagle.
- This is the first game in which:
- This is the fourth game to use vehicles. The first one is Bad Piggies, the second one is Angry Birds GO!, the third one is Angry Birds Epic (Bomb's pirate ship, the airship and submarine).
- This is the third Angry Birds game that wasn't released on a Thursday. The first game was Angry Birds and the second was Angry Birds Rio. However, it was released on Thursday for Android in Google Play.
- Despite the fact the Bad Piggies are teaming up with the Angry Birds, and are indeed playable, the primary enemies will always be pigs (turned into Pigbots).
- Players can give thanks to characters who are summoned as partners during a stage run, even if a partner is of a different faction. When a player's character gives thanks to a partner of a different faction (for example An Autobird teaming up with a Deceptihog), the partner fakes out the thanks and mocks the player character, with the player character pushing away the different faction partner away to mug the camera at the last minute.This reflects that they are still enemies, but are working together against a common threat.
- The Mighty Eagle does not appear in the game, so far.
- Red as Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Energon Optimus Prime and Ultimate Optimus Prime
- Chuck as Bumblebee and High Octane Bumblebee
- Terence as Heatwave and Sentinel Prime
- Hal as Grimlock, Energon Grimlock and Goldbite Grimlock
- Stella as Arcee
- Bubbles as Jazz
- Bomb as Drift (appears in comic series)
- The Blues as Bluestreak (appears in comic series)
- Eggs as Allspark and EggBots
- King Pig as Bludgeon, Brawl, Megatron and Ultimate Megatron
- Minion Pig as Energon Starscream and Thundercracker
- Foreman Pig as Lockdown and Energon Lockdown
- Corporal Pig as Galvatron and Energon Galvatron
- Chef Pig as Soundwave, Soundblaster and Energon Soundwave
- Professor Pig (himself)