- For the Angry Birds Space version, see the Lightning Birds entry in: Space Characters
- For the Angry Birds Star Wars version, see Rebel Pilots entry in: Star Wars Characters.
- For the Angry Birds Star Wars II version, see Jedi Younglings entry in: Star Wars II Characters.
"Birds of a feather fight together!"
|Jay, Jake, and Jim|
|Abilities||Splitting into three separate birds & slightly speeding up|
|First Appearance||Theme 1-10|
|Species||Mountain Bluebirds (Sialia Currucoides)|
The Blues: Jay, Jake, and Jim, otherwise known as the Blue Birds are characters in the Angry Birds series of games created by Rovio Entertainment. They were first introduced in 2009 with the original launch of the game. The Blues are Mountain Bluebirds and a set of triplets. Originally, they were presented as a single small blue bird in animated shorts and promotional art.
All 3 birds are completely identical. They have slighty longer beaks than Red, notable red-orange bags under their eyes, and unlike the other birds they have no eyebrows. They have 2 top blue feathers and 2 black back feathers. Additionally unlike the other birds, they have no chest feathers.
In the film version, The Blues are small anthropomorphic Blue Birds as their eye color are different, Jay's eyes are blue, Jake's eyes are teal and Jim's eyes are brown. Both Jay and Jake has a yellow feet while Jim's are orange.
- Name: Jay, Jake, and Jim (The Blues)
- Known Aliases: Blue Bird(s), Lightning Birds (from Angry Birds Space), Duplicate Birds
- Group Affiliation: The Flock , The Flock in Space,The Flock in a Galaxy Far,Far Away
- Known Relatives: Each other (Triplets), Greg Blue (father), Olive Blue (mother)
- Best Friends: Each other, Bomb, Bubbles
- Voiced by: Heljä Heikkinen (Angry Birds Toons), Noah Schnapp, Owen Vaccaro, & Pierce Gagnon (The Angry Birds Movie)
They first appeared in Theme 1-10 , Poached Eggs and have appeared as a playable character in every version and episode of the game released so far, though he is not necessarily in all levels. In the Fuji TV exclusive episode: Sakura Ninja, the Blue Birds appear dressed as taiko drummers. This was the first time they have appeared in costume in any game and completely new game sprites were created for this episode.
These birds are the weakest playable characters but have the unique ability to multiply into three identical copies. This ability is triggered by touching the screen or clicking the mouse (depending on the version of the game the player is using).
The Blues' splitting ability can be exploited in different ways. By splitting just before impact with an obstacle, the three birds' force on impact is concentrated for maximum force. Alternately, the birds can be split early allowing them to spread out and hit more obstacles at once.
While the Blues do not cause much damage with most obstacles, they do have a unique strength against glass/ice, able to penetrate it with surprising ease. They also can damage or destroy damaged shards of wood. However, they cannot destroy stone at all.
- Have The Blues get near the glass. Before making contact, split them. They will cause major destruction on it.
- If you use The Blues on wood, they will shatter one piece of it, even though you already split them.
- Try to not use The Blues on stone. They are useless on it. However, they can topple it over, but it's not worth using them on stone.
- Use it if you fire too high to attack like an airstrike.
The Blues, like the others, get surprised when it comes to egg theft and smuggled birds. They are daring and inquisitive and often get themselves into trouble and cause mischief, causing the Flock to have to intervene. An example may include the episode Egg Sounds, where the Blues trick Red, Chuck, and Matilda into thinking that the eggs are speaking. They are the youngest members of The Flock, excluding Bubbles.Unlike the other birds, they are fond of Mighty and they visit him often, according to the comics. In the toons, they are unruly, mischievous, and playful. All the Birds treat The Blues specially, as they are only children. For example, Red would teach them respect, Bomb would play with them, Matilda teaching them to eat healthy, and Hal to look after them.
While the Blues aren't as dedicated to egg-protecting as Red, they still care for the eggs and always somehow rescue them from the pigs when they are captured. They are very cunning and can see someone's intentions almost immeadiately, as seen in True Blue? and Catching the Blues. They hate being controlled and don't like following other's ways, as they think they can do it better. They demonstrate this in Full Metal Chuck, where they hate following Chuck's orders and are able to complete all of his challenges fluently and better than him.
The Blues description from an old Angry Birds Official Website
"The Blues are the pranksters of the flock who love nothing more than playing tricks and getting up to mischief. Trouble-making is what they do best – like the time they dressed Chuck in a pig costume as he slept and then called over Terence to deal with the green intruder. Let’s just say Chuck jumped up pretty fast after seeing the terrifying Terence at his bedside! Arrrgggghhhhh……!!! These guys may have a carefree attitude, but they’re also super-smart. When playing a prank they find clever ways to hide their tracks and keep everyone guessing! And how about this for a special power...? They cling on to each other to look like a single blue bird, and then in mid-flight unleash a surprise three-way attack to bombard the pigs from different directions! Boom!! If Red and Matilda are the mature birds looking over the flock, then the Blues are the young little hatch lings. When they get caught being mischievous, they quickly show those helpless puppy eyes and then it’s impossible to stay mad at them! Matilda wants them to eat vegetables, Red talks about responsibility, and Bomb teaches them how to have fun – so guess who they like the best?"
The Blue's modified description from the Birdsonality Test:
"The Blue Birds are the pranksters. Quick and inventive, they keep their friends amused with their latest mischief. They enjoy arguing and especially playing. Being such a creative type, they can have a hard time focusing on tasks, especially when they feel tedious or routine. But when they do focus, they are resourceful and inventive problem-solvers."
Main Article: Angry Birds
This is the Blue's first appearance. They were often thought to only be one bird who could clone himself. The Blues appear in every theme of the game, and also appear in every cutscene. They are considered original members of the flock and thus have appeared in every installment after the original game.
Many fans adore the Blues due to being the only bird whose specialty is glass, and also for their cuteness.
Main Article: Angry Birds Seasons
The Blues made their second appearance to what was originally Angry Birds Halloween. Like the first installment, they are the second bird introduced in the first theme, Trick or Treat. Afterwards, they appear in all the following themes.
Sub Article: Ham'o'ween Short Movie
The Blues are trick or treating, and notice Bubbles, the Orange Bird in their candy basket. At first, they don't think much of him, but see pigs walking by. Afraid to be seen, they hide behind a tree only to realize that Bubbles is unintentionally kidnapped by the pigs, being lured by their candy. They get into the King's fortress by wearing one of the pig's masks, and stop King Pig from eating Bubbles by using controls on a conveyer belt. Bubbles is suddenly angered, as the King Pig ate a piece of candy he was aiming for, and he puffs up, revealing his ability. Afterwards, the Blues and Bubbles walk back from the castle, which is now crumbling apart.
Sub Article: Year of the Dragon Short Movie
The Blues have also traveled to China twice. While there the second time, The Blues, while hiding, watched the Pigs’ production of the Mighty Dragon puppet show and witnessed the Dragon’s attack. They first watch the play that the pigs have set up. The bird-puppets tend to eggs, but are suddenly frightened by the King Pig who comes to steal their eggs. However, they strike back using the Red-Koi stickers, and the King is frightened. However, the Corporal and the King are insulted and blow away the stickers. This causes the Blues to be angered, and they fling a Red Koi into the air, summoning the Mighty Dragon and ultimately destroying the showplace.
Main Article: Sakura Ninja
They also visited Japan, where they dressed as taiko drummers.
Main Article: Angry Birds Rio
The Blues, along with Red and Chuck, are tending to eggs but are captured by the smugglers and flown to Rio, where they are to be sold. Angered, they rustle in the cage so hard that it ends up exploding. The Blues escape, and assist in freeing the birds in the cages. Once they leave the den, they retreat to the jungle, getting rid of marmosets in their way. After the birds hijack the smuggler's plane, they use it to fly back home to Piggy Island.
Main Article: Angry Birds Space
In another adventure, The Blues and the Flock were whisked into Space via a wormhole, gained super powers and fought the Space King and the Space Pigs. During this time, despite their adventurous nature, they were often homesick and wanted to go back home. They gain costumes that resemble The Flash, and when flung they emit a flashing light of electricity. They still obtain the same power of splitting into three.
Main Article: Angry Birds Star Wars
Main Article: Angry Birds GO!
Main Article: Angry Birds Star Wars 2
Main Article: Angry Birds Epic
Main Article: Angry Birds Transformers
Main Article: Angry Birds Fight
Main Article: Angry Birds 2
Main Article: Angry Birds POP!
The Blues are having fun with Red, Chuck, Poppy, Willow and Stella.They pay an occasional visit for a limited time.
RelationshipsDopeys on a Rope. On Slingshot 101, Red is very concerned for them after being flung into a mountain, afraid that they will be defeated by the pigs. However, in the end they are seen playing with each other.
Red also thinks less of the Blues, and underestimates their ability to defend themselves. He does not realize how cunning and thoughtful they are and as a result end up doubting them.
In the film version, Red actually protects the Blue Egg during the confrontation against Leonard. As Leonard was lost in the explosion, Red manage to survive as the Blue Egg that he carries is already hatched and to see the Blues which belongs to Greg Blue and Olive Blue as he returns these triplets back to them.
Chuck and Jay, Jake, and Jim are considerably good friends. However, sometimes The Blues are annoyed by Chuck's nonsense, just like the other birds. The Blues are stubborn towards Chuck when he made them go through his obstacle course in the toons episode Full Metal Chuck. In the Toons episode The Bird Who Cried Pig, Chuck is welcomed by the Blues and they say, "hi" to him. (assumption because they don't speak in the toons episodes)Shrub It In where Bomb is playing with them. Bomb also is seen playing with them in the toons episode The Bird Who Cried Pig. They also happen to call Bomb "Uncle Bomb" in the Angry Birds Mini-Comics #1. It is also said on the Angry Birds Official Website that The Blues prefer Bomb over Red due to Bomb's more likable personality. Do As I Say! The Blues don't like it when Matilda bosses them around and are usually scolded for the things that they do. The Blues also are very aware of her temper and care for her, as exampled in the Toons episode Shrub It In where they don't want to tell her about her rose bush to hurt her feelings.
While the Blues dislike Matilda's cooking, they are aware of her sensitivity and try not to hurt her feelings, however they are unsucessful.Ham'o'Ween Short Movie.
Below are The Blue's different counterparts in different installments of Angry Birds.
The Lightning Birds
|Abilities||Splitting in to three|
The Lightning Birds are the classic Blue Birds. They have the powers to break ice and triplicate, as in the classic Angry Birds game. They are commonly placed after an Ice Bird due to their great compatibility. Their helmets resemble that of the Flash. Their tails are hidden behind their mask. They glow with electricity, and emit a spark of light when they hit an object.
Rebel Pilot Birds
|Powers||Splitting into 3 birds|
|First Level Appearance:||Level 2-1|
|Species:||Bluebird (Dressed as a Rebel Trooper)|
|Locations:||Death Star, Hoth, Path of the Jedi, Cloud City, Death Star 2|
It is known that Rebel Pilots are the Blue Birds. In the official game play trailer, it was revealed that the Rebel Pilots have the ability to be divided into three, just like in the previous 4 games, but now they can split even after being hit, although this does not do much damage, this can be useful after being hit with a laser. After their power is upgraded, they can cause small explosion around them when they hit.
According to the Angry Birds Star Wars Character Encyclopedia, their official name or term is Blue Squadron, or Pilot Birds. They fly in the formation of one, then split into three to confuse the enemy. They are reliable and brave and dedicated into fighting the Sith. It takes years to become a member of the Blue Squadron, and you have to be "Blue". Their helmets are worn with pride and makes other birds envious of them. The orange line on their helmets help them see each other.
|Abilities||Splitting into three birds|
|First Appearance||Rise of the clones|
|Species||Bluebird (Dressed as a Jedi Youngling)|
|Locations||Rise of the Clones|
These chirpy chicks are the apprentice of Yoda who retain the Blues' original ability to split into three, and unlike the original game, they can cut through wood as well as glass. They are first seen in Rise of the Clones chapter, assisting the other birds in fighting Zam Wessel.
All of these young trainees have a short Padawan haircut. They also wear novice helmets which protect them during fights.
- The Jedi Younglings' in-book's names are the Blue Padawans.
Bird: The Blues
The Blues have appeared in the following games:
- Angry Birds
- Angry Birds Rio
- Angry Birds Seasons
- Angry Birds Friends
- Angry Birds Space (as the Lightning Birds)
- Angry Birds Star Wars (as Rebel Pilots)
- Angry Birds Star Wars 2 (as Jedi Younglings)
- Angry Birds Go!
- Angry Birds Epic
- Angry Birds Transformers (as Bluestreak and Prowl)
- Angry Birds POP! (not playable anymore by July 20th)
- Angry Birds 2
- Angry Birds Chrome
- Angry Birds Google+
- Angry Birds Volcano
- Angry Birds Magic
- Angry Birds Friends
- Angry Birds Star Wars Facebook
- Angry Birds in The Hunt For The Golden Pistachio
- Angry Birds Vuela Tazos
- Angry Birds Winter Wonderland
- Angry Birds Fuji TV
- Angry Birds Heikki
- The Blues are the only birds who have no eyebrows, except in the early cinematic trailers but they can look angry.
- Their eyelids appear to change color in different media. In the games, their eyelids are blue, but in several of the animated shorts, their eyelids are red.
- They are possibly based upon the Mountain Bluebird.
- The Blues first appeared in the original Angry Birds sketch in 2008, along with Red; possibly showing that they were the first 2 created Angry Birds.
- In Angry Birds Toons the Blues have a Theme Song. This makes them (along with Willow and Stella) the only birds with a consistant theme song.
- Game after game, the Blues' power never changed. This was until the release of Angry Birds Go! and Angry Birds Epic; however, this can be excused as it is not a slingshot-based game.
- Interestingly, they also appear in every Angry Birds title. (This excludes spin-offs, however they also appear in Bad Piggies and can still split in 3)
- The Blues are named "Jim, Jake, and Jon" in the Angry Birds Comic. This is most likely a typo.
- Jay is the oldest and leader of his brothers, Jake is the middle child, and Jim is the youngest.
- It is unknown how Jay became the leader of his brothers.
- Red,The Blues,Shakira Bird,Chuck,Bomb and Matilda are the only special guests in Angry Birds POP! so far.
- The Blues are the only birds who don't have eyebrows in Red's flock. This may be due to their young age, but that doesn't explain Bubbles's case.
- In The Angry Birds Movie international trailer, The Blues' feathers are diffrent shades of blue (Jay's feathers are pale light grayish cerulean, Jake's feathers are pale light grayish sapphire blue, and Jim's feathers are brilliant turquoise), making them look like different hatchlings, possibly because Rovio wanted the Blues to be surprise characters to the fans. In a TV spot, they also have diffrent coloured eyes (Jay's eyes are blue, Jake's eyes are green, and Jim's eyes are brown).
- For some reason, in the Angry Birds Movie, the Blues are younger than Bubbles and much smaller. But, in the game it shows that Bubbles is younger than the Blues.
- For unknown reasons, whenever playing Angry Birds Seasons -or any other Angry Birds game- and the player splits the birds, the birds immediately turn into their corpses. This is seen as a glitch.
- ↑ The Daily Birds in Space, a guide to Angry Birds Space, app.