|Abilities||Spin back like a boomerang|
|First Appearance||Theme 6-5|
"What goes up must crash down!"
Hal the Boomerang Bird (sometimes referred to as Al, or Green Bird) is a character in the Angry Birds series of games created by Rovio Entertainment. He was introduced in 2010 and was the first new character added to the Angry Birds series who was not one of the original five birds in the flock, with the other three being Terence , Bubbles, and Stella in that order.
Al first appeared in Theme 6-4 as a prisoner, but was playable starting with Theme 6-5. He has appeared as a playable character in every version and episode of the game released since his introduction, though he is not necessarily in all levels. In the Fuji TV exclusive episode Sakura Ninja, Al appears dressed in kendo garb. This was the first time he has appeared in costume in any game and completely new game sprites were created for this.
- Name: Hal
- Known Aliases: Al, Green Bird, Toucan Bird, Boomerang Bird
- Group Affiliation: The Flock
- Known Relatives: None
- Best Friends: Terence
Unlike most other birds, the large beaked Hal is an easy going bird, and not to mention an open minded bird. Compared to Chuck, not just the beak and the color can tell the difference. Talking of colors, a couple of problems run into Hal being green. Since Red doesn't like green for obvious reasons, its a tad tough for the two of them to coexist. As a consequence of this, the toucan ends up camping to pass a bunch of his time, only to turn up when he feels like it and/or the flock needs him. No wonder he doesn't appear as much as the other birds do (Summer Pignic Short Movie). However, its important to not forget that Hal is still an Angry Bird, albeit one that flies into a rage when someone tries to set boundaries. In his opinion, the sky is the limit, and he'll prove it the hard way if he has to.
Little is known about Hal's history before he met The Flock. When first seen, Hal was a prisoner of the Bad Piggies until The Flock freed him. It is unknown how he was kidnapped by the pigs. After this freedom, he turned up in the Summer Pignic Short Movie with any luck that he'll get in. However, Red denied access when he tilted the slingshot, thereby making the White Bird fly in the wrong direction. Despite this clumsy start, Hal managed to prove himself when all other flock members failed by launching himself from the slingshot, and using his boomerang ability, grab the eggs and knock out the structure's support system, causing to fall down and defeating King Pig. With that, he was granted 3 stars and membership in the flock.
In the course of the battles with the Pigs, he has traveled to many different locations and environments, including the desert, underground caves and beaches. The Pigs never rest in their quest to steal eggs and the Flock often has to retrieve their eggs on holidays and special occasions. In one instance, the Pigs captured the entire Flock, including Hal, making it the second time he was captured by Pigs. Then Terence came and freed him and stopped the King Pig.
- Main article: Angry Birds Seasons
- Main article: Angry Birds Rio
At an indeterminate time later, the Flock was captured as rare birds and taken to Rio de Janeiro where they fought with Blu and Jewel and their friends against Nigel and Mauro and his marmosets. Hal did not appear originally in Rio, but arrived much later after the others, so it is possible he was not kidnapped originally and made his way to Rio to help rescue The Flock.
- Main Article: Angry Birds Space
In another adventure, many of the Flock were whisked into Space via a wormhole, gained super powers and fought the Space King and the Space Pigs. Hal has been left behind with Matilda and Stella on the island.
- Angry Birds
- Angry Birds Go
- Angry Birds Seasons
- Angry Birds Rio
- Angry Birds Friends
- Angry Birds Chrome
- Angry Birds Google+
- Angry Birds Magic
- Angry Birds in The Hunt For The Golden Pistachio
- Angry Birds Vuela Tazos
- Angry Birds Winter Wonderland
- Angry Birds Fuji TV
- Angry Birds Telepizza
Advantages and DisadvantagesHal is very good against wood, glass and snow, but not great against stone. When his ability is used, it's often the longer (eventually a set time) the bird can break through entire columns of wood and glass. Another way to use the Hal is by firing it backwards and using it's ability to cause it to fly forwards.
Hal flies farther and higher then all the other birds when fired.
A common disadvantage is when Hal is fired straight into the air, it's hard to arc him perfectly when he approaches the ground. Sometimes he will hit the ground and become a corpse immediately when he goes out of range.
Another common disadvantage is when the ability is used too close to the structure, he will very quickly lose speed not long after the boomerang back and not even scratch the structure.
When it comes to Piglantis in Angry Birds Seasons , another disadvantage is that Hal's ability is useless underwater because if his ability is used underwater, he won't be able to boomerang back and he'll automatically turn into a corspe really fast.
- Hal, Bubbles and the Ice Bird are the only birds who first appeared kidnapped by the pigs, although Bubbles was unintentionally kidnapped.
- Hal will make Chuck's pain noises when being a corpse, thus making it the only bird without an original pain noise.
- Hal and Blu and Jewel are also the only birds to rotate when fired from the slingshot.
- Hal has a different launch voice on Angry Birds Seasons as of the Ham'o'ween update. However, the PC and Mac version of Angry Birds Classic also has the alternative voice of the bird. The phone version of the original Angry Birds has the original select and launch voice.
- Hal and the Ice Bird are the only Birds that are shown in the level before they are first played in as an unplayable item.
- On Chrome level 6-4 his corpse sprite disappears and is invisible, but when you unlock him, his corpse sprite will be the Angry Birds Rio sprite and he keeps the Yellow Bird pain noises but the feathers change from yellow ones to white ones.
- Hal may be based upon the Emerald Toucanet.
- Boomerang Birds end their beaks with red in the old design, but in the game he has orangish yellow at the end of his beak.
- In Angry Birds Rio, Angry Birds Facebook, Angry Birds (Google Chrome), Angry Birds Vuela Tazos, Angry Birds Fuji TV, Angry Birds Telepizza, and Angry Birds in The Hunt For The Golden Pistachio, Hal has a new design.
- Even though his full beak is all orange, in the Summer Pignic Animated Short, the top part of his beak is yellow while the bottom section is orange just like in his old design.
- Except in the comics, this is the only bird that talked in the promotional videos (In Summer Pignic, he says "ba-bye!"). However, in the Ham'oween short, while trick-or-treating at Mighty's cave, the Blue Birds do say a word that sounds like "trick or treat!", but not the actual words.
- As shown in the Summer Pignic short, he is accident prone. This is only in the Summer Pignic short, as seen in the Angry Birds Coca-Cola short, he is an excellent swimmer, and can even boomerang back in the water.
- Whenever Boomerang Bird blinks, his eyebrows disappear. This only happens for his old design.
- In Piglantis, Hal's ability doesn't work when he is underwater. The corpse will appear when the ability is activated.
- In the Angry Birds Heikki promonanal art on Angry Birds Facebook page, Hal looks exactly like it's design in Angry Birds (Previously) and Angry Birds Seasons, except the yellow ring on his beak is removed.
- Hal is the only bird who got rescued twice.
- Terence and Hal are the only 2 birds used for The Big Setup.
- Even though Hal has green feathers, yellow ones appear when he disintegrates after becoming a corpse. In Angry Birds Chrome, Angry Birds Friends and the 2012 updated version of the original game, green feathers appear (an earlier version of the Chrome version had white feathers).
- Strangely, in the Angry Birds Coca-Cola short, he can boomerang back in the water, but in Piglantis, when he is underwater, his power becomes useless.
- Hal plays the Banjo.
- Hal may be somewhat old; his voice in Angry Birds Go! is quite creaky. He also calls the other birds (specifically the Blues) "kids", meaning that he is older than them.
- Additionally, Hal may be a peace activist. He doesn't fight pigs unless there is theft. Stereotypical-sense, he uses words like "dudes" and "amigo".
- In Angry Birds Friends, when Hal's boomerang ability is activated, he boomerangs back at a lower angle than in the main games.
- Hal is the only bird that never appeared in Angry Birds Toons. His design for Toons would depict him with a more pointed beak, a black "mask" over his face, and yellow rings around his eyes.
- Hal, along with Matilda and Stella, are the only three birds without a Space counterpart, and he and Bubbles are the only two birds without a Star Wars counterpart.