In the Angry Birds universe, the term "Corpse" is used to describe the state a Bird goes through after they crash into an object on the board. In this phase, the Bird's feathers appear and will appear badly wounded and injured, with dazed/black eyes and crooked beaks. This is also the time when the Bird's strength significantly decreases until it can no longer destroy blocks without the aid of motion. Once a corpse remains still for several seconds, it will disintegrate into the air.
However, a bird remains offscreen left or right while still flying, it will automatically disintegrate due to its inability to do anything.
It should be noted that Bomb does not have a separate appearance after landing on a structure, as he just flashes shades of red before exploding. Bomb's corpse sprite is only seen in Angry Birds Star Wars. Terence doesn't have a corpse sprite- it reuses his basic sprite but he does have one in Angry Birds Star Wars, and Matilda has two different corpse sprites, depending on if her egg was dropped or not. Bubbles also does not have a corpse sprite. After a few seconds while it is inflated, it deflates, (and flies away) and then disintegrates.
Corpses can also prove to be trouble to the player, as if a bird launches into a corpse, it will have little to no effect on the structure, and if Matilda fires her egg onto a corpse, it will bounce off in another direction before it explodes. Thus it is advised to wait until a corpse disintegrates before launching another bird.
The Corpse Glitch
Main article: Glitches
A glitch can be performed when a bird's corpse sprite is replaced by another one when the bird is supposed to be a corpse. To perform it, have a bird fly in the air while using its ability. Fire a second bird at the first bird while the first one is still in the air, using its ability. If done correctly, the first bird's corpse sprite will be replaced by its ability sprite. The glitch can be seen by RovioMobile's Poached Eggs 3-12 on Youtube. Rarely, Hal doesn't have crooked beaks if it hits an indestructible structure, but remains opened.
Also, it can sometimes happen that, after Matilda has launched her egg, it will 'pop' back to its corpse used when she didn't use the egg. This only happens in Angry Birds, Angry Birds Rio and Angry Birds Facebook.
There is a glitch when you launch Blue Bird, and split them into three, they have their corpses.
- The White Bird is the only bird with two corpses.
- In Angry Birds Google Chrome, the birds corpses are the same as in Angry Birds Rio (except for the Black Bird, who doesn't have a corpse sprite).
- Every corpse in Angry Birds Facebook and Angry Birds Google Chrome have their tongue sticking out except for the Red Bird, and White Bird when she used an egg.
- Stella, (except in Star Wars) Bomb (except in Star Wars and Facebook version of Angry Birds Friends), Terence, and Bubbles, are the only birds to not have a corpse sprite.
- Even though Big Brother Bird has no corpse, he still has pain noises although he is already on his corpse.
- None of the classic corpses have birds' or pigs' tongues sticking out.
- Poppy is the only Stella bird with a corpse.