"Don't ruffle my feathers!"
|This article is about the character. You may be looking for the larger counterpart, the female counterpart, the space version, the Star Wars version, the Star Wars II version, the Transformers versions, or the Epic version.|
Targeting directly at pigs. (Red's Mighty Feathers Exclusive)
Use his battle cry to topple structures. (Angry Birds 2)
Going to the part of screen that is tapped (Telebird)
Rock Pop: Break up to 4 blocks (Angry Birds POP!)
|First Appearance||Theme 1-1|
|Species||Mountain northern cardinal (Mukitus cardinalis cardinalum)|
Red Bird is the main protagonist in the Angry Birds series and games created by Rovio Entertainment. He is the first bird to play with. He is also the leader of the Flock. First introduced in 2009, the character is the primary bird used in marketing to promote the series. Red is the first bird used in the game (except in Angry Birds Star Wars II), and he has appeared as a playable character in every version and episode of the game released so far (except for Angry Birds Stella), though he is not necessarily in all levels. In the Fuji TV exclusive episode: Sakura Ninja, he appears dressed as a ninja. This was the first time he has appeared in costume in any game (this is technically not completely true, because in both golden eggs in Go Green, Get Lucky in Angry Birds Seasons, he wears a green leprechaun hat), and completely new game sprites were created for this episode. He is considered as the unofficial mascot of Rovio and the official mascot of Angry Birds.
Red has two red feathers on top of his head, and has two black eyebrows that form a unibrow when it is in default. He has 3 tail feathers, two maroon eye bags, and two maroon spots on either side of his face. His beak is yellow and he has beige chest feathers. In his earlier cartoon appearance until the four-part movie Angry Birds Bing, Red's appearance remains the same as he gains three feathers in each sides instead of two maroon spots in either side of his face and his chest feathers are white.
In Angry Birds Toons until Angry Birds 2, Red's appearance is based on his game counterpart of the first Angry Birds.
In the film version, Red appears as a feisty-tempered red anthropomorphic Northern Cardinal with red feathered arms and his chest is light red instead of beige, his eyes are brown instead of black and the maroon spots in each sides of his face is now one instead of two and has orange feet.
- Name: Red
- Known Aliases: Super Red Bird, Red Bird, Normal Bird, Angry Bird, Mr. Red, (by Judge Peckinpah) Red Skywalker
- Group Affiliation: The Flock, Space Flock, The Flock in Patch Land, Flock in a Galaxy Far Far Away, Bad Piggies (in Pig Plot Potion)
- Best Friends: Chuck and Bomb
- Possible Family: Female Red Bird, Boy and Girl Eggs, Terence, Tony
- Voiced by:
- Toons: Antti Pääkkönen (Angry Birds Toons)
- Movie: Jason Sudeikis (The Angry Birds Movie; elderly self), Aidan McGraw (The Angry Birds Movie; younger self)
- Other countries: Shinobu Sakagami (Japan), Louis Cheung (Hong Kong SAR), Lin Bo-sheng (Taiwan), Liu Bei-chen (China), Eddy Zoëy (The Netherlands), Christoph Maria Herbst (Germany), Marcelo Adnet (Brazil), Maccio Capatonda (Italy), Jacek Bończyk (Poland), Fredde Granberg (Sweden), Iftach Ofir (Israel), Vasco Palmeirim (Portugal), Riku Nieminen (Finland), Aleksandr Tsekalo (Russia), Slavi Trifonov (Bulgaria), Adrián Uribe (Latin America)
Starting at the first level of Poached Eggs, Red is able to cause great damage to the weaker structures, but as the player advances through the levels and episodes, they soon discover that Red doesn't have much strength compared to the other birds, and can usually only shatter about one or two long wood or glass block in every turn.
Red is useful through all levels, as he can be used to finish off areas that have been weakened by other birds. He is good for starters.
In the episode Red's Mighty Feathers, he obtains special feathers from the Mighty Eagle and once flung, green arrows will appear to the nearest pigs and when the screen is tapped he will target the nearest one. However, due to fan's negative feedback, it was changed so that Red would directly target wherever the screen is tapped.
However, in Angry Birds 2, Red's ability has changed. Tapping the screen will make him yell. His yell makes a red sound wave which can topple things over; similar to Luca from Angry Birds Stella and Obi-wan Kenobi from Angry Birds Star Wars. His scream, however is more to make towers fall, instead of flinging things everywhere. This is useful when there are strong structures behind some sort of tower, so that the tower crashes onto the building behind it.
In the film version, Red's ability is identical to his game counterpart in the first Angry Birds as he manages to break through Leonard's castle roof. He also has a wrestling fighting style where he does an Elbow Drop and a Giant Swing and lastly, To outsmart the enemy.
Red is very responsible and eager. He also cares for the eggs, and sometimes dresses them up by putting a cap on them to keep them cool, making him the one with the best caring skills. His best friend and confidant pal is Chuck. He regularly reassures and encourages his friends. He is also known for being a strong and responsible leader and for never giving up on protecting the eggs from the Pigs.
Red has trouble controlling anger, as he tends to get mad at the slightest things. This includes (but is not limited to):
Kicking a blue Hatchling for playing soccer next to his house.
Destroying mechanical bird Billy who made annoying noises and motions.
Slapping a medical bird during the knee reflexing test.
Despite this, Red is fiercely loyal to his companions and the eggs, and does not hesitate fighting back for them. Red is also obsessive compulsive, as he needs everything to be absolutely perfect as seen in Just So.
Red has never learned to swim either, and refuses to go in the water, showing that he is extremely stubborn.
Red's description from an old Angry Birds Official Website
''Red’s special skills are his leadership qualities, which at first seems feeble compared to the brute force of Terence or explosive power of Bomb. But wait! Someone has to organize this odd flock of birds! He’s also a bit highly strung and sees small things as a declaration of war – like hearing the sound of the wind and thinking it’s the battle cry of the pig army. So that’s kind of intense! The whole flock tries to keep Red calm and relaxed by telling him to follow a strict program of herbal tea, soothing bath salts and deep-breathing exercises. But this only takes the edge off his anger, and it really doesn’t take much to remind Red of those little pigs trying to get their dirty trotters on the eggs. Even the sight of something green can enrage him! Red always needs to keep his possessions in the best possible condition. Like a proud dad, he spends hours every morning waxing the slingshot and making sure the band is perfectly elasticated. But if a dirty leaf lands on the sling then his eye starts twitching to show he’s edging closer to boiling point. Now he has to re-apply several more coats of polish to make it perfect again! Red also lets his guard down when he’s alone with the eggs and can be seen softly stroking their shells and telling them bedtime stories. It’s another rare moment of sensitivity and it reveals something of a softer side in him. But when the other flock members come a knocking, something clicks inside and instantly he’s back to being his usual serious and alert self.''
Red's description was updated into the movie version.
On an island occupied by the cheeriest birds imaginable, Red is a bit of an outcast. His cynical outlook has kept him at odds with the other birds, but a bit of cynicism might be just what they need.
In the film version, Red shows his calm and a very reserved bird and is quick to anger towards the other birds in Bird Island when they act clumsily towards him or getting angry for small things. Red's temper sterns from being teased by fellow birds who are making fun of his thick brow when he was younger and also can't control when he is angry. As Leonard and the pigs steal their eggs and everyone apologizes to him for not listening to his words, Red is also a very serious and determined bird and has leadership qualities to teach the birds how to fight the pigs and to save the eggs. Red is also shown his bravery to protect the Blue Egg from Leonard as well as to avoid from being exploded by TNT made by Leonard during the fight as Red survives the explosion and the Blue Egg that he protected was hatched into three Blue Birds.
The Angry Birds Movie
In the Official Guidebook, there is a "questionnaire" about Red, his personalities, hobbies, fears, etc. In the introduction statement, he says:
"I guess I should tell you a little about myself. Normally, I am a very private bird, but since I had to take anger management classes, I don't have much of a choice. Here's a test I took during class. A lot of birds have taken it - for fun. It's supposed to help us get in touch with our inner songbirds. Whatever. Here are my answers."Occupation: Wanting to be left alone!
Favourite Colour: Red, duh.
Favourite Book: Any Mighty Eagle comic book that I can read by myself in my own hut, thankyouverymuch!
Special Skills: I am very good at spending time ALONE.
Hobbies: Being alone. Pretty much doing anything alone.
Favourite Place on Bird Island: My own hut.
Best Friend: Me. Well, I guess Chuck is pretty cool. And Bomb. But don't tell them I said so.
Greatest Wish: To be left alone.
Biggest Fear: Being hugged.
What Makes You Happy?: Privacy.
What Makes You Angry?: Being asked all these questions! And slow-moving birds. And loud birds. And late birds. And spoiled birds. And cheerful birds. And birds who stand too close. And birds who complain. And cheerful birds. And that bird who likes to give hugs. And birds who don't respect personal space. And birds who make me do anger management. And cheerful birds. Oh, and did I mention birds who are so dang cheerful that it starts TO MAKE ME ANGRY, and also EVERY BIRD AND THING AND PLACE ON THIS ISLAND?!
Motto: Keep to yourself, it's better that way.
Notice that in the What Makes You Angry? section, Red says "And cheerful birds" three times.
Main Article: Angry Birds
Once the King Pig decided to steal eggs from the Birds on their island, Red has been at the forefront of the war between the Angry Birds and the Bad Piggies. Red, Chuck, the Blues, Bomb, and Matilda were the first to discover the first eggs missing after severely attacking an insect for landing on their eggs. He is considered the leader of the Flock, though he displays no exceptional powers as the others do.
In the course of the battles with the Pigs, he has traveled to many different locations and environments, including the desert, underground caves and beaches. The Pigs never rest in their quest to steal eggs and the Flock often has to retrieve their eggs on holidays and special occasions. In one instance, the Pigs captured the entire Flock, including Red. It was only for the actions of Terence and Hal that the Flock was freed.
Main Article: Angry Birds Rio
At an indeterminate time later, the Flock was captured as rare birds and taken to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil where they fought with Blu and Jewel and their friends against Nigel the cockatoo and Mauro and his marmosets.
- Main article: Angry Birds Rio
Main Article: Angry Birds Seasons
During the Wreck the Halls adventure, Red and Bomb took the lead in chasing the Pigs through the snow on skis.
- Main article: Wreck The Halls Short Movie
In one conflict, the Bad Piggies stole a girl egg. When the flock retrieved her, Red was seen in the company of a female counterpart watching over the eggs. From the picture taken, it would appear that this is his mate and the Boy and Girl eggs are his offspring.
- Main article: Hogs and Kisses
- Main article: Angry Birds Space
- Main article: Angry Birds Star Wars
- Main article: Angry Birds GO!
- Main article: Angry Birds Epic
This section is in major need of being expanded.
Red acts as fatherly figure to the Blues. In Slingshot 101, they are scolded by Red when he tells them not to play on the slingshot. Afterwords, he can be seen playing with them as if he tolerates their behavior. He also trusts them to watch the eggs, as seen in the Angry Birds Space comic and "A Piece of Cake". However, they usually do not follow through with the job and he usually has to be the one to save the eggs or scold them.
The Blues don't like his constant nagging, and see him as annoying sometimes.
In the film version, Red is seen protecting the Blue Egg from Leonard during the confrontation. After Leonard lost in the explosion, Red manages to survive as the Blue Egg was hatched into the Blues. The Blues are also seen with the hatchlings singing a thankful song to Red when other birds are renovated his new home.
In the movie, Red and Chuck met through Matilda's anger management courses and have been best friends ever since.
Red and Chuck are known to be best friends and care for each other. This can be exampled in the toons episode Chuck Time, where Red falls from a crevice, and Chuck rushes down to save him. In the Christmas Comic, Chuck falls from a cliff and Red ends up saving him.
Red sees Chuck as annoying at first, due to Chuck's strange yoga positions and it is unknown how they became friends. Red, like the others, is annoyed at Chuck's ignorance and clumsiness.
In the movie, Red and Bomb met through Matilda's anger management courses and Bomb is now one of Red's best friends.
Red and Bomb seem to be close friends, as in most pictures and media he, Bomb, and Chuck are often seen together. Red seems to be concerned over Bomb, as in Angry Birds Mini-Comics Issue #1, he tries to help Bomb over his hiccups throughout the whole story.
Red trusts Matilda enough for her to take care of the Eggs, which she gladly does. However, Red dislikes her cooking but cannot tell her because he doesn't want to hurt her feelings. Matilda has a lot of care for Red, as she is seen making scarves and food for him in the comics.
Matilda was once Red's anger management teacher and mentor as well. He allows her to join his flock even though she has a peaceful nature.
In the Summer Picnic Animation, Red extremely dislikes Hal at first, not trusting him enough to use the Slingshot. They neglect him, thinking he will only be a burden. Red pushes him away after he messes up Matilda's shot. However, after Hal saves the eggs, Red is extremely grateful and accepts him as a part of the flock. Throughout the Angry Birds Mini-Comics, Red and Hal are shown to be good friends and Hal is cheery and optimistic towards Red.
Terence seems to be a much older version of Red, as they are the same species. Red is the only one who can understand Terence and cares for his temper, and he tells Terence to "take it easy" in comic #2. From the Toons episode Nighty Night Terence, it is seemingly shown that Red can entrust the Egg's safety with Terence, leaving him and the eggs at the end of a clifftop, which is not very safe.
Due to being the same species it can be assumed that Terence and Red have a brotherly-like connection, or may even be related as a whole, as Terence's name was originally "Big Brother Bird".
Red cares for Bubbles and may possibly be a father figure to him. In the Angry Birds Mini-Comic Issue #2, Red states that he would never hurt Bubbles, after seeing a picture of him popping Bubbles.
Bubbles is the kid of the flock, but Red still allows him to fight with them and does not see him as a burden.
Stella and Red are presumably good friends, though Red is also somewhat shown to have an intimate crush on her, while Stella returns the feelings for Red through a romantic relationship. He additionally visits her in Angry Birds POP! (Formally Angry Birds Stella Pop) and even stays there (along with Chuck, Bomb, and Matilda). Though in books like "Raiders of the Jade Egg", Stella seems rather annoyed of Red, same with Red to her. Although, in most of the comics, Red and Stella maintain a friendly relationship.
With Silver being the newest member if the Flock, it is Red's responsibility to show her the ropes of the lifestyles of the Angry Birds and help her adjust to being serious when it comes to pig fighting.
It is presumed that Red and king pig have been moral enemies ever since the Birds arrived on Piggy Island, and to this day King Pig frequently attempts to steal the Eggs for his own greedy needs. In the Angry Birds National Geographic book entitled "Animal Showdown", it is solemnly revealed that Red will not stop protecting the Eggs from the Pigs until King Pig is defeated for good, then peace can be restored to the island.
In the Toons episode Pig Plot Potion, Red is turned into a pig by Chef Pig. By the way they cooperatively work in preparing King Pig's meal, it is possible if pigs didn't steal eggs and birds took care of their anger, they could have positive relationships.
In many different episodes, Red is very overprotective of the eggs and risks his own life over saving them. In Egg's Day Out, Red ventures out to save one single egg, and even smashes a leaf apart afraid that it was a threat to their safety. Red is the caretaker of the eggs most of the time, and was even the one to find them on the shore before the pigs did. He always manages to rescue the Eggs when the pigs capture them, and throughout the entire Egg Defender mode in Red's Mighty Feathers, he protects a singular egg from all the Bad Piggies. He is constantly concerned over them, as shown in Off Duty when he is reluctant to turn over the Eggs' responsibility to Chuck, Bomb, and the Blues.
According to The World of Angry Birds Official Guide, Red dislikes the Mighty Eagle because he stays in his cave most of the time and never joins any fight with the pigs until the very last moment.
Red has appeared in the following media:
- Angry Birds
- Angry Birds Rio
- Angry Birds Seasons (Original and Telebird)
- Angry Birds Friends
- Angry Birds Space (as Super Red Bird)
- Angry Birds Star Wars (as Luke Skywalker/Red Skywalker)
- Angry Birds Star Wars II (as Anakin Skywalker/Redkin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker/Red Skywalker)
- Angry Birds Go!
- Angry Birds Epic
- Angry Birds Transformers (as Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Energon Optimus Prime, Ultimate Optimus Prime, Nemesis Prime and Epic Optimus Prime)
- Angry Birds POP! (only "Drop the Pigs" and "Defeat King Pig")
- Bad Piggies (as enemy)
- Sonic Dash (only available for a limited time, part of the Angry Birds Epic promotion)
- Angry Birds 2
- Angry Birds Action!
- Angry Birds Blast!
- Angry Birds Chrome
- Angry Birds Google+
- Angry Birds Volcano
- Angry Birds Magic
- Angry Birds in The Hunt For The Golden Pistachio
- Angry Birds Vuela Tazos
- Angry Birds Winter Wonderland
- Angry Birds Fuji TV
- Angry Birds Cheetos
- Red can't destroy materials perfectly but, here are the materials that Red can break.
- Red can destroy wood better than other materials (although he can shatter square and triangle blocks.)
- Red could only shatter a glass square block but, could only weaken other glass blocks. He can only destroy 1 really small glass block.
- Try not to use Red on stone. He can only shatter them (If it's already damaged) or weaken small stone blocks.
- Red, Chuck, and Bomb are considered the best characters in the 2016 box office hit The Angry Birds Movie
- Red is the main protagonist in The Angry Birds Movie
- Every corpse in Angry Birds Rio, Angry Birds Google Chrome, Angry Birds Google+, and Angry Birds Facebook have their tongue sticking out except for Red and Terence (Who had no accessible corpse.)
- Two versions of Red wearing aviation-related head gear were created for the Angry Birds Asian Challenge completion.
- Terence appears to be the same species as Red and may, in fact, be related (Hence the name Big Brother Bird.) Other than the Blue Birds, there are no other birds of the same species in the Flock core group.
- An officially licensed t-shirt entitled “Nerdy Birdy” showed Red with glasses and a bow tie. The image was so popular that a plush version was created. It should be noted that the Nerdy Birdy is not a new character, just Red wearing a bow tie and eye glasses.
- Red and Bomb appeared in the an episode of Bad Piggies game named Flight of the Night, where they're both guarding the eggs but fell asleep, posing a goal for the player to steal the egg, as being the primary goal of the game.
- Terence makes Red's pain noises when becoming a Corpse in Angry Birds Facebook.
- On May 13, 2012, Red cameoed in a Sunday Comic in the title panel.
- Red appears on both the old and new Game Cases For Angry Birds Trilogy, but in the new case, Chuck, Bomb, and two Bad Piggies appeared along with him.
- In Archie Sonic Universe Issue 32, a Bird that resembles Red appears as one of the inmates, along with Wolf from Star Fox.
- Red also cameoed in Inanimate Insanity Season 2 Episode 4 as one of the ingredients of a pizza.
- Red is the 7th bird known to play an instrument. He is seen in the Angry Birds Pop map playing a guitar and playing an accordion in Last Tree Standing. The other birds known to play an instrument are Hal, Willow, Poppy, Dahlia, Luca , Bomb and Matilda, in that order.
- He cameos in Inanimate Insanity episode 4 as a demonstration for the challenge, along with Chuck.
- The Game Designer in Pixel People is dressed up like him.
- Red was called ''Eyebrows'' During his childhood due to his big eyebrows. Leonard once called him Eyebrows when he and Red where on the chandelier.
- Red was dedicated in a song by the Hatchlings. The name of the song is called ''The Mighty Red Song''.
- Red appears in all Angry Birds games except Angry Birds in Ultrabook™ Adventure. He appears in cutscenes and the level selection screen, But he does not appear in the game itself.
- Red saved the life of over 100 Hatchlings with the help of Mighty Eagle.
- Red and Silver are the only birds to be named after a color.
- Red makes a cameo as a teapot in the end of the fourth issue of Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures comic book "To Laugh So Not to Cry".
- At the level Old Nesting Barrows-4 in Angry Birds Epic, you will fight against an evil Red himself. During this battle, only one bird is allowed to battle against him, and potions are not allowed.
See also: Red Bird/Images