Every week in Angry Birds Friends, there is a new Weekly Tournament. Sometimes this tournament may be themed or sponsored. Sponsored tournaments often support good causes, such as the Champions for Earth tournament, which was sponsored by the Earth Day Network.
Freddie For a Day Tournament
- Ran from: September 2-8, 2013
- In support of: Mercury Phoenix Trust
This was the second time Rovio has supported Freddie For a Day, the first time being in 2012 with the creation of the Freddie Mercury bird as a mark of support.
Rock in Rio Tournaments
- Ran from: September 9-22, 2013, May 4-10, 2015
- In support of: Rock in Rio
The 2013 tournament started right after the Freddie for a Day Tournament ended, keeping up the classic rock theme. They are the only sponsored weekly tournaments not to support a good cause.
Roll with the Pangolins (Pangolin Tournament)
- Ran from: November 17-23, 2014
- In support of: United for Wildlife
The tournament was endorsed by Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, who is the president of United for Wildlife. United for Wildlife work to fight against illegal wildlife trade. The tournament was created to support the conservation of pangolins, the world's most endangered mammal.
An original short, "Meet the Pangolin" was created to promote the tournament. Two birds (not Angry Birds) watch a pangolin eating insects and ask what species it is. The birds mishear the pangolin's answer, thinking it is a penguin and then a mandolin. The pangolin breaks down its name (the syllables appear on screen, spelling "Pan-Go-Lin") and tells the birds to "deal with it". One of the birds says to the other "Doesn't look like a penguin to me".
Earth Hour Tournament
- Ran from: March 23-29, 2015
- In support of: Earth Hour, WWF
The tournament was promoted with a Piggy Tales-style short. A scientist pig builds a power generator in which a pig has to run on a wheel (like a hamster wheel) to power a light bulb. Another pig begins running on the wheel, and then a third, lighting up the bulb, much to the scientist pig's delight. The pigs generate too much power and cause a power surge which causes lights around the world to go out. The pigs are then left in darkness.
Help Nepal Tournament
- Ran from: May 18-25, 2015
- In support of: International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent
This tournament was created as an emergency response to the earthquake that devastated Nepal on April 25, 2015. The tournament was created to raise awareness of the situation. Rovio allowed fans to make donations, with a goal to raise €100,000 ($111,860).
- Ran from: 29 July-5 August, 2015
- In support of: A World At School
#UpForSchool is a campaign by the education charity A World At School to help the 59 million out-of-school children gain the right to an education. The tournament urged people to sign the #UpForSchool petition.
Champions for Earth Tournament
- Ran from: September 21-27, 2015
- In support of: Earth Day Network
This tournament was created to raise awareness of climate change and was endorsed by the following people:
- Christina Figueres - A Costa Rican diplomat and Executive Secretary of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- Sonam Kapoor - An Indian Bollywood actress, one of the highest paid actresses and one of the most popular celebrities in India. She has been nominated for three Filmfare Awards and won two Stardust Awards. She is the daughter of Indian actor Anil Kapoor.
- Anil Kapoor - An Indian Bollywood actor and the father of Sonam Kapoor.
- Matt Damon - An American actor best known for playing Jason Bourne in the Bourne series of films. He is also the co-founder of the organisational website Water.org, which aims to raise awareness of water conservation.
- Don Cheadle - An American actor known for his roles in the films Picket Fences, Devil in a Blue Dress, Rosewood and Boogie Nights.
- Danny DeVito - An American actor best known for playing Louie de Palma in Taxi and The Penguin in Batman Returns.
- Ian Somerhalder - An American actor best known for playing Boone Carlyle in the TV drama Lost and Damon Salvatore in the supernatural drama The Vampire Diaries.
- VIXX - A six-member South Korean boy band. All members participated in Mnet's survival reality show MyDOL and were chosen via an elimination system through viewer votes.